Friday, July 5, 2013

BEWARE, I HAVE MANIACAL TENDENCIES....


I have ZERO tolerance to plagiarism. In fact, I have an allergy to it so bad, that if I am at my computer, my hands start moving in a very funny fashion. The index finger of my right hand automatically keeps going to the number 0 (ZERO) or it starts typing the characters Z, E, R, and O, in that order repeatedly. The condition is so bad that it is uncontrollable.

If I am holding a document in my hands, both my hands behave in a funny fashion. They tend to pick up the document and I am forced to hold it tightly at its edge. Then my hands start moving forcefully in opposite directions, thus tearing the papers into half. It does not stop there. My hands then join the folded pieces and again tear them. This goes on till the document is torn to tiny pieces.

If I am holding a red pen in my hand, I develop a tendency to pierce a hole into the document. Next, even if I try to prevent it, my hand forcefully starts crossing out large sections of the paragraphs on the document. Then it starts writing, in large, bold, red letters the characters Z, E, R, and O, in that order repeatedly. Next they also write the characters F, A, I, and L, again in large, red letters.

At the same time, I experience palpitations, increase in blood pressure and a maniacal tendency to kill someone. It takes a lot of effort to prevent myself from pulling out my keyboard and breaking the screen of my monitor. I develop red eyes and and a temperature. I also tend to tear my hair out. One lasting effect is my hair is turning white faster than ever. It has also thinned. Since while doing all this, I also feel like boxing someone in the face, I think I have broken a tooth in my lower jaw, leaving a gaping hole for everyone to see when I smile. 

I have consulted many psychiatrists, psychoanalysts, neurosurgeons, doctors, sadhus, babas, and black magic wallahs. None of them have been able to find a cure for my allergy to plagiarism. They say there is simply no cure. 

I just have to stop reading plagiarized content!

9 comments :

  1. It's something that most of us deal with on a daily basis. You gotta ignore it but you can't... Loved the style of writing. Have read so much on this topic and even made notes on it for exams but by far this is one of the most interesting pieces on plagiarism...!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dharmishtha. Indeed, this is something that is prevalent everywhere. As a teacher, I am sometimes at my wits end to explain what is plagiarism and what is not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And as a student, it is sometimes difficult to understand what is plagiarism and what is not. :/ It's not just about being ethical; it is a lot more technical. And especially in the Indian educational system it comes as a real shocker during higher studies. I mean how is mugging up and writing the exact same words from a school textbook onto the answer sheet not a form of plagiarism?
    msnamjoshi.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed Mohita, sometimes, it becomes difficult. When you mug up for the exams, its different, because you do not get published. But when you publish without giving due credit, when you pick up sentences directly, when you don't analyse, that's when the problem starts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I empathised totally with your thinking here. We should chat up some time

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with your thoughts. Indeed plagiarism is a problem and specially for the people working or aspiring to work in the media industry, it is a thing to be looked carefully. Time constrain is one important factor i suppose, there are other factors too. I think early preparation is the only key to avoid it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could ACTUALLY visualize you doing all that while I was reading!I better recheck the "Flow of Literature" draft I had to submit to you again... *Gulp*

    ReplyDelete
  8. totally agree Mangesh. hope you master the skill to keep calm under these or worse circumstances. amen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mangesh, Possibly... people who are really allergic to plagiarism are the ones who are highly creative themselves..like you are!! Happy anti-plagiarism living..!!
    loved your posts on your website.. you have certainly left an imprint on the FOOTPATH of your life..!!

    ReplyDelete